Slow Cooker Beef & Barley
- Nutritional fact- Pearl Barley contains more dietary fibre than brown rice
Heat a little of the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add beef cubes in batches and sear until golden brown. Set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan and cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until tender.
Pour the beef stock and water into the bowl of the slow cooker. Add barley, carrots, celery, onion mixture, beef cubes and thyme sprigs. Cook on low setting for 8 hours. Season to taste, fold in parsley and accompany with some crusty bread and green beans.
- For a faster result, cook on a high setting for approx. 4.5 hours.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1kg blade or chuck steak, cut into 4cm dice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup, prepared and rinsed McKenzie's Pearl Barley
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- to taste McKenzie's Natural Salt & Pepper Grinder
- for serving Crusty bread and green beans