Vegan Mushroom & Barley Soup
Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add leek, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook a further 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender and softened.
Add stock, water, barley and thyme to pot. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes until barley is tender. Stir in soy sauce.
Just before serving stir in parsley and season well. Accompany with parmesan toasts.
- Add a splash of water when reheating.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup, rinsed McKenzie's Pearl Barley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- to taste, McKenzie's Australian Natural Sea Salt Large Grinder
- to taste, McKenzie's Whole Black Peppercorn Large Grinder
- Parmesan toasts, to serve