Ancient Grains Green Soup
Before cooking, follow on-pack instructions to rinse and pick over uncooked soup mix.
Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add onion, garlic and celery, cooking for several minutes until tender. Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute, stirring often.
Add stock, water and uncooked ancient grains to the pot, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add kale, zucchini and broccoli, cooking a further 5 minutes until grains and vegetables are tender. Season to taste.
- If you have pre-cooked the whole bag already, you will need 2 cups of the cooked grains for this recipe. Simply add to the soup with the liquids and green vegetables for a shorter cooking time.
- Add some chopped chillies if you prefer a little heat, or a squeeze of lime for serving.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1L vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup Mckenzie's Ancient Grain Soup Mix
- 6-8 kale leaves, stalks removed and leaves finely sliced
- 1 zucchini, finely sliced into rounds
- 1/2 broccoli head, cut into small florets, stems thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt, to taste